I was introduced to the book Roxaboxen a few years ago in the book Read for the Heart by Sarah Clarkson (which I highly recommend if you need some help with wonderful living book recommendations)! It is an adventurous and imaginative story that is actually based on a true story about a small “town” built by neighborhood children in Yuma, Arizona. The town is created from rocks, trash, branches, and other objects they find in the area. The children *build* houses, drive pretend cars, set up shops, lay down laws, and have amazing adventures together. I just adore this beautifully written story.
Unit Study Theme Ideas and Activities for Roxaboxen
Because of my love for this story, I decided to pull together several activities you can use to create your own unit study for Roxaboxen. If you need a unit study/lesson plan template, I have some available in my homeschool planning pages. Otherwise, pick out a few activities to do each day and make some memories with your kids!
- Roxaboxen Vocabulary Flash Cards – Quizlet
- More Roxaboxen Vocabulary Flash Cards – Quizlet
- Desert theme writing activities, word searches, graphic organizers, and more – ABC Teach
- Roxaboxen: Lesson Plan on Setting – Lesson Plans Page
- Is A Camel A Mammal
- Desert Giant: The World of the Saguaro Cactus (Tree Tales)
- If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet
- Stone Soup
- Number Pebbles for Counting or Addition – Imagination Tree
- Outdoor Number Review Games – Motherhood on a Dime
- Rock Dominoes – Intellokids
- Mapping Roxaboxen (includes lesson plan and free printables) – Geoalliance
- Locate Yuma, Arizona on a map
- Build your own Roxaboxen – Teacher Link
- Build Roxaboxen with Boxes and Blocks – My 2 Small Boys
- Pastel Cactus Drawing – Art Projects for Kids
- Steering Wheel Art – Sunlit Pages (lots of other Roxaboxen activity ideas, too)
- Sensory Cactus Craft – Stay at Home Educator
Other Free Printables and Ideas:
- Preschool Desert Unit – 2 Teaching Mommies
- God’s Little Explorers, Week 9, Rocks + David & Goliath – Motherhood on a Dime
- 3rd Grade Roxaboxen Unit Study – Genessee School (this is a really thorough PDF download)
- Tons of ideas for an Ice Cream theme (the kids have ice cream parlors in Roxaboxen!)
How about you? Do you have any recommended ideas for a Roxaboxen unit study or theme? I would love to add a few more activities to the list!
Find more activities and books over at iHomeschool Network’s A Book and a Big Idea Blog Hop.